Why do you want to leave the USA
WHO CARES! It is not important to this site.
What is all this about?
What prompted me to create Covert Escape?
I kept getting asked this question and I have become exhausted telling people my future plans. Now I just give them this web address. So here we go!
In 2007 I started becoming worried about my and my families’ future in the USA. A little history is appropriate at this point so here is a brief disclosure on my person. I am in my late 40s, happily married for 22 years, my wife and I have 6 children. I am self employed.
From time to time you may see guests write an “Expedition Report”, where they report on their visit to a foreign country, and I thank them for their cotribution. Also if you are traveling on an Expedition and would like to contribute please email me firstname.lastname@example.org and I will set up a phone call to get your report published.
So now we have a foundation for discussion.
One more thing; I am not a professional writer, I am a terrible speller, and Sister Karyn (My 5th grade english teacher – God bless her and rest her soul) would slap me on the back of the head for the way I beat up the written word. If you see a typo let me know, and to Sr. Karyn please forgive me Sr. but I am trying hard.
THIS PAGE IS FOR
This site was created specifically for those who would in most cases be comfortable calling themselves middle class. People like me who want to leave but do not have large stacks of capital to pay someone else to do their leg work.
In the past 5 years of research I have seen many news letters and expat services that are geared towards Americans, Brits, Aussies, etc,,, who are typically well heeled and are for the most part wealthy. I am not wealthy, but those people are welcome, and I will likely provide information to them that they could not get from other sources where they are paying. I invite all people to feel free to take what they need and leave a tid bit if you like.
So this is the bare bones, just the facts, Go To, web page for young and old, single, married with or with out kids, people who may be wondering if they will survive to the next day. (Get off the Hampster Wheel)
I am here to tell you:
1. It is not as expensive to move to another country and expat as you may think, but it can be VERY expensive if you do not plan.
2. It can be SIGNIFICANTLY less costly to live and do business in another country.
3. You can live just as safely and many cases much more safe in another country. (The country of my choice had a total of 11 murders in 2011. In my home county and adjoining county we had that many murders in the week after my return from my expidition!)
4. Many countries have more freedom, less government intrusion, and are less socialist than you currently are likely experiencing today.
5. Land and new homes are typically significantly cheaper than here in the USA. (I looked at new a beach house, 3br /2.0 ba at +/-1800 sqft that cost $30,000 to build)
6. MANY COUNTRIES ARE NOT EFFECTED BY THE DEPRESSION WE ARE LIVING IN THE USA! Their economies are booming. (beware of countries that are booming just because Americans are moving there like Costa Rica. American prices / American problems may plague areas in these countries).
Do not fool yourself the U.S. Government does not want you to leave the USA!
Have you ever seen a hampster in a wheel running and running? That is what you are to the IRS. Especially if you are self employed. Jump off of the wheel.
I have friends who have become expats and the IRS has tracked them down to keep them on the wheel, so there is good reason for being covert.
AMERICANS PEE IN THE POOL
I specifically do not want to live where all the other expats want to live. I would like to become a contributing member of the society in the country to where I am emigrating. So I set my rules for my lifestyle. I think that you need to do what is best for you and your family.
WHAT DO I DO IF I AM NOT HAPPY ONCE I MOVE?
Oh this is a great question. My answer is just move! Your feet are not nailed down. You do not owe anyone any explanation, just move. You could return to the USA or move to your second choice country. If you rent this is no problem. Life is too short not do what you want to do with it.
1 DO NOT BUY PROPERTY RIGHT AWAY
2. RENT FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR
3. RENT IN THE OFF SEASON. Plan you arrival at the beginning of the “Off Season” or winter. Instead of paying $7,000 a month during the high season you will pay only $350/ month for the same house in the off season.
who is john galt?